Floodplain Development

Development within the floodplain of the Town and its ETJ is regulated by the Town of Cedar Point Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance and requires a Floodplain Development Permit from the Town. Permit applications may be submitted online using the link below, or in person at Cedar Point Town Hall, 427 Sherwood Avenue, Cedar Point, NC 28584.

The Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance was last updated on April 28, 2020 to accommodate several changes to the Town's flood maps which were updated by FEMA on July 19, 2020. The new flood maps brought with them a floodplain designation new to Cedar Point, the Coastal A Zone. The Coastal A zone is a strip of land located within an AE Zone waterward of the LIMWA line. LIMWA is an abbreviation for the Limit of Moderate Wave Action and is the area where waves between 1.5 feet and 3 feet might be expected in a significant flooding event. Due to the potential wave action within the Coastal A Zone, it is regulated similarly to a V Zone. While structures within a flood zone require certain changes from construction outside a flood zone, those structures within a V Zone or Coastal A zone require the most substantial changes. Residents are highly encouraged to reach out to the town prior to developing plans for construction within the town to help you identify the applicable flood zone and make sure your proposed construction will comply the flood zone requirements applicable to that zone. Residents within the Town of Cedar Point and it's ETJ may obtain Flood Insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) as a result of actions taken by the Town to reduce flood damages.


Finding your Flood Zone:


Other Helpful Links & Information:

Town Hall: (252)393-7898 | 427 Sherwood Ave, Cedar Point, NC 28584 | jcalhoun@cedarpointnc.org